DCAN 4: Restaurants, Cafes and Fast Food Outlets
Appendix 4: Glossary of Terms
(Definitions as contained in PPS 5 ‘Retailing and Town Centres’)
- Town Centres - City centres and town centres which provide a broad range of facilities and services which fulfil a function as a focus both the community and public transport.
- District Centres - Groups of shops, separate from the town centre, usually containing at least one food supermarket or superstore and non-retail service uses such as banks, building societies and restaurants.
- Local Centres - Small groupings of shops, typically comprising a general grocery store, a sub-post office, occasionally a pharmacy and other small shops of a local nature.
- Town Centre Vitality - Vitality is a measure of how busy a centre is.
- Town Centre Viability - Viability is a measure of the town centre's capacity to attract ongoing investment for maintenance, improvement and adaption to changing needs.