Draft PPS18: Renewable Energy
Annex 1 Solar Thermal (Solar Water Heating): Information to Accompany a Planning Application
G21. A planning application or application for listed building consent for a solar hot water system could usefully include the following information:
- the design of the collector;
- photographs of the existing built environment;
- detail of the roof mounting arrangement, if applicable;
- indicative drawings of the collector in place;
- if the application involves a listed building, a photomontage of the proposed collector could be useful.
Environmental Impact Assessment
G22. The Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999 do not include solar energy systems specifically in Schedule 1 or 2. However large, industrial scale developments (producing over 0.5MW of electricity) are listed in Schedule 2 and would therefore require a Screening Opinion. These, however, are rare in the UK. Domestic or small-scale systems are not covered by Schedule 1 or 2 and are therefore not likely to require an EIA. In AONBs, conservation areas and on listed buildings, the only issues likely to be important are visual amenity and building fabric and these can be covered by a short description accompanying the planning application.