Draft PPS18: Renewable Energy
Annex 1 Energy from Waste (Biological Processes): Information to Accompany a Planning Application
C54. A planning application for an anaerobic digestion plant could usefully include the following:
- site plan and elevation drawings to help determine visual impact;
- photomontage of digester, plant building(s) and chimney stack with clear indication of building material;
- information on grid connection works, including transformer and transmission lines;
- details of emissions to air and an assessment of their impact;
- details of vehicular access and vehicular movement;
- landscaping provisions;
- site management measures during the construction phase;
- model of emissions dispersion; and,
- community consultation plans.
C55. An application for a sewage digestion plant could, in addition to the above, include reference to the existing wastewater treatment plant.
C56. An application for a landfill gas plant could, in addition to the information listed above, note that the LFG plant would require the addition of a powerhouse to a typical landfill site.
Environmental Impact Assessment
C57. Developments that use waste to produce energy may require EIA. Such projects could fall within projects listed in Schedule 2.3 and/or 2.11 to the Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999 .