PPS 8: Open Space, Sport and Outdoor Recreation
3.1 The main objectives of this Planning Policy Statement are:
- to safeguard existing open space and sites identified for future such provision;
- to ensure that areas of open space are provided as an integral part of new residential development and that appropriate arrangements are made for their management and maintenance in perpetuity;
- to facilitate appropriate outdoor recreational activities in the countryside;
- to ensure that new open space areas and sporting facilities are convenient and accessible for all sections of society, particularly children, the elderly and those with disabilities;
- to achieve high standards of siting, design and landscaping for all new open space areas and sporting facilities; and
- to ensure that the provision of new open space areas and sporting facilities is in keeping with the principles of environmental conservation and helps sustain and enhance biodiversity.