PPS 6: Planning, Archaeology and The Built Heritage
Annex A: Transport and Traffic Management
A1 The Northern Ireland Transport Policy Statement “Moving Ahead” published in November 1998 promotes greater integration of transport with the environment and land-use planning in order to:
- reduce the need for travel;
- encourage the use of alternatives to the private car; and
- minimise the environmental impacts of transport.
A2 This may lead to a greater concentration of development on existing centres, including towns and villages with conservation areas or other areas of townscape importance. This will require the Department to take full account of the wider costs of transport choices, including their potential impact on the archaeological and built heritage.
This section contains the following sub-categories.
- New Traffic Routes
- Existing Historic Structures
- Traffic Management
- Floorscape, Road Signs and Street Lighting