PPS 5: Retailing and Town Centres
Planning for Retail Developments: Factory Outlets
45. Individual retail outlets adjacent to factories are an established part of the retail scene. Favourable consideration will be given to such new proposals, provided that:
- the retail outlet sells only the products of the factory itself;
- the scale of the outlet would not adversely affect the vitality and viability of existing centres;
- the retail outlet remains clearly secondary to the manufacturing use;
- it would not lead to detrimental impact on amenity, traffic movements or road safety; and
- it is satisfactory in terms of car parking, design and landscaping.
46. Factory outlet centres proposals will be acceptable in town centres and the Department will encourage such proposals. Proposals for factory outlet centres, of an appropriate scale, in out-of-centre locations may be acceptable provided that the proposals satisfies all the criteria set out at paragraph 39.