PPS 17: Control of Outdoor Advertisements
Annex A: Guidance for Outdoor Advertisements
1. The main purpose of this annex is to set out the Department’s detailed guidance to provide a consistent basis against which to consider the display of different categories of advertisements. In drawing up the guidance it is acknowledged that amenity and public safety are the only criteria that can be taken into account in assessing proposals for advertisements.
2. The guidance is not intended to be overly prescriptive, but is intended to advise applicants and commercial companies involved in promoting outdoor advertising how such advertising, if appropriately designed and sited, can contribute towards a quality environment.
This section contains the following sub-categories:
- Poster Panel Displays
- Shroud Advertisement Displays
- Signs on Commercial Premises
- Signs on Retail and Business Parks
- Signs at Filling Stations and on Forecourts
- Pylon and Pole Mounted Signs