Planning Portal

Draft PPS14 Sustainable Development in the Countryside
Policy CTY 3

Policy CTY 3 – Dwellings For Retiring Farmers
Planning permission will be granted for a dwelling house on a farm for a farmer retiring from agriculture, or for the surviving partner of a farmer, where the applicant can demonstrate all the following:
(a) the applicant last worked mainly as a farmer, or is a surviving partner of someone who last worked mainly as a farmer;
(b) the applicant is of retirement age and has recently retired or is about to retire, or has to retire prematurely from farming because of ill-health or is a surviving partner as in the above criterion;
(c) the site for the new dwelling house is on the land which the applicant, or in the case of a surviving partner, her/his partner farmed until retirement;
(d) the farm is viable and therefore capable of supporting a farmer in full-time employment;
(e) the farm retirement dwelling is required to facilitate the orderly sale or transfer of the farm holding as a going concern;
(f) the existing farmhouse will continue to be used as the main farmhouse on the farm;
(g) there are no alternative development opportunities available on the farm; and
(h) no dwellings or development opportunities have been sold off from the farm holding.
Previous Next
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)