Planning Portal

PPS 7 (Addendum): Residential Extensions and Alterations
Annex B: Applying for Planning Permission

B5 Should planning permission be required for your extension or alteration there is a simplified application form for householder development (Form PHD) which can be obtained from your local planning office.  Five sets of this completed form and all drawings (location maps and plans) together with the appropriate fee should be submitted to your local planning office (see Annex C). For proposals affecting flats or residential property in multiple occupancy, the standard planning application form (Form P1) should be used. Seven sets of this completed form and all drawings (location maps and plans) together with the appropriate fee will be needed. Details about the information required are listed on the application form and accompanying guidance notes. Advice on the necessary fee can be obtained from your local planning office or the Planning Service website.
B6 Where the application relates to the carrying out of works to provide access for or improve the safety, health or comfort of a person with a disability, then it may be exempt from any planning fee.
B7 To avoid unnecessary delays in dealing with planning applications it is important to submit scaled drawings in metric measurements which are clear and accurate. For applications for full planning permission both existing and proposed elevations and floor plans are required. The elevations and outline plans of adjoining properties should also be shown on drawings, again accurately scaled in metric measurement.
B8 Before you apply for planning permission for an extension or alteration it is suggested that you talk to your neighbours so they are aware of your plans. Neighbours are notified as part of the planning application process and their comments will be considered as part of the decision-making process.
B9 You may also wish to appoint an agent to act on your behalf. This can be an architect, planner, surveyor or other professional advisor. All matters concerning your application will be addressed to them.
B10 Whether planning permission is required or not you are advised to contact your local building control office at the earliest possible stage as many domestic extensions and alterations also require approval under the Building Regulations. Furthermore, you may wish to contact Northern Ireland Water Customer Services Unit at the design stage with regard to water supply requirements, foul water and surface water sewerage requirements, septic tank discharge and, in particular, to ascertain if an existing water main or sewer crosses the site. All appropriate consents should be obtained before you commence any work.
Previous Next
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)