PPS 4: Industrial Development
Development Control: Retention of Industrial Land and Buildings
35. Land and buildings currently or last used for industrial purposes will be assessed to see if it is a vital local industrial land resource which must be maintained, before its release for other purposes is agreed. Planning permission may be granted for the change of use, or the redevelopment for other uses, of sites or premises last used for industrial purposes where:
- continued use of the site for industry would be detrimental to the amenities of the surrounding area or give rise to serious environmental problems;
- the site or buildings are unsuitable for modern industrial purposes;
- an alternative use would secure the future of a building listed as being of architectural or historic merit;
- there is an opportunity for re-development or use of a site for a mixed-use development with job creation potential; or
- the land is required for other purposes as set out in a development plan.