PPS 2: Planning and Nature Conservation
1. Among the various functions of the Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland are nature conservation and planning. The Department's Planning Service Agency is responsible for the regulation of development and land use, whilst the Environment and Heritage Service is responsible for conservation of the natural environment and the control of pollution.
2. The Department has a statutory duty, laid down in Article 3 of the Planning Order (NI) 1991, "to formulate and co-ordinate policy for securing the orderly and consistent development of land and the planning of that development."
3. Planning Policy Statements, prepared in accordance with the provisions of Article 3 of the 1991 Planning Order, express the policies of the Department on different aspects of land use planning. Their contents will be taken into account in preparing development plans and, in appropriate circumstances, will also be material to decisions on individual planning applications and appeals.
4. Planning and Nature Conservation (PPS 2) states the Department's planning policy for nature conservation for the whole of Northern Ireland. Such policy is strongly guided by Government policy on nature conservation and by the statutory framework.
5. This Planning Policy Statement describes the statutory framework that helps to protect designated areas, including those of international importance and advises on the treatment of nature conservation issues in development plans. In addition, it outlines the criteria which the Planning Service will employ when processing planning applications which might affect nature conservation interests and to which developers should have regard when preparing proposals.
6. The Statement supersedes the following provisions of the Department's "A Planning Strategy for Rural Northern Ireland" published in September 1993:
- Policy SP 14 - Nature Conservation
- Policy SP 17 - Trees and Hedgerows
- Policy Con 1 - Areas of Nature Conservation Importance
- Policy Con 2 - Nature Conservation and Development
- Policy Con 3 - Trees and Woodlands
7. The publication "Planning Conservation Guidelines", of November 1990, is now withdrawn.