Settlements: Open Space, Sport and Outdoor Recreation
Magherafelt District Council owns and manages outdoor playing spaces and other areas of open space throughout Magherafelt town. The single largest area for outdoor playing space is at Meadowbank on the Ballyronan Road. This is further supplemented by playing fields and a playground at Stoney Park, adjacent to the Greenvale Leisure Centre, close to the town centre.
The following major areas of existing open space are identified for information only on Map No. 5 - Magherafelt:
- Playing fields adjacent to Leckagh Drive;
- Rainey Endowed School playing fields;
- St Mary’s Grammar School playing fields;
- St Pius X High School playing fields;
- Meadowbank Sports Arena and Hatrick Park.
Additionally, there are private bowling, golf and rugby facilities in the town.
Magherafelt District Council has not identified a need for additional land for open space over the Plan period.