Dungannon and South Tyrone Area Plan 2010
Fivemiletown is located approximately 43 kilometres southwest of Dungannon, on the A4 Belfast to Enniskillen route, close to the county boundary with Fermanagh District (See Map No. 84a and Map No 84b). The settlement has developed in linear form along Main Street with some indepth housing development to the north along Edfield Way and Clabby Road and to the south along Cooneen Road and Altaveedan Road. A wide range of local services including some industry is available in the settlement.
The following areas may be subject to flooding from adjacent watercourses;
- south of ‘Lismoyle’;
- north and south of Meadowview;
- west of Cooneen Road; and
- south of Walmont Terrace.
An Area of Townscape Character is designated in the centre of the village, based on the quality of the built heritage. The design of development proposals within this area should be in keeping with the historic built form in terms of scale, form, massing, design detailing and materials. (See Map No 84b).
Three Local Landscape Policy Areas (LLPAs) are designated at:
- Ballagh Road (LLPA 1): To help protect the substantial properties in generous and attractively landscaped grounds;
- land south of Blessingbourne Estate (LLPA 2): To help protect the landscape associated with this swathe of wooded land between the estate and the village and the area around St Mary's Cemetery; and
- Round Lough and adjacent landscape (LLPA 3): To help protect the visual quality of the landscape around the Lough.
Single dwellings of an appropriate design will normally be acceptable on suitable sites within the settlement limit provided the proposal does not prejudice the comprehensive development of adjacent land. Housing development will normally be permitted provided the scale, layout and detailed design of the development are compatible with the scale and character of the settlement.
In order to reinforce local identity, all residential proposals should be guided and informed by the historic built forms displayed within the designated Area of Townscape Character in the village. Standard suburban layouts or the use of designs and materials unrelated to the traditional village character will not be acceptable.