Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan 2015
District Proposals: Corgy/Kilbride Background
Cogry/Kilbride is located approximately 4 km west of Ballyclare. The village encompasses the two areas of Cogry and Kilbride which have merged. Cogry was originally a mill village and largely evolved as a settlement during the mid nineteenth century but declined in the 1950’s with the closure of the mill and the demolition of Cogry Square. In recent years the village has been revitalised by residential development.
Kilbride developed in close proximity and is so closely related to Cogry that the two are treated together. Kilbride is also known locally as Burnside.
The Doagh River forms a narrow, wooded corridor through the village centre and the mill buildings at the foot of the valley slopes are a prominent landmark to the south of the village.
|Designation CY 01Settlement Development Limit Cogry/Kilbride|
|A Settlement Development Limit is designated for Cogry/Kilbride as identified on Map No. 7a - Cogry/Kilbride.|
The Settlement Development Limit is designated to take account of land committed for development. It also takes account of the role of the settlement whilst protecting its natural setting.
The Settlement Development Limit is designated to promote a compact settlement form and prevent inappropriate expansion into the countryside along the six roads leading from the settlement.
Significant development has occurred since the start of the Plan period at the Kilbride Grove development, Moyra Road and further development opportunities exist along the Moyra Road.
The Settlement Development Limit for Cogry /Kilbride respects the Doagh River as a natural limit to further development east of the river north of the Cogry Hill development and to include the Council Linear Park along the Doagh River.
The limit has been drawn to include the Kilbride Central Primary School, the Community Hall and Public House and the Old Cogry Mill on the southern edge of the Settlement Development Limit.