Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Down District: Maghera
|Proposal MA 01 Settlement Limit|
|A Settlement Limit is designated in accordance with Policy SETT 1 in Volume 1 of the Plan and as indicated on Map No. 3/037, Maghera Settlement Map.|
The designated Settlement Limit is drawn to avoid lands prone to flooding along the Carrigs River, protect the setting of Maghera Churches and round tower to the south and prevent further ribbon development along Ballyloughlin Road.
Interim sewage disposal measures or development phasing may be necessary for future housing schemes until such time as the Waste Water Treatment Works for Maghera is complete and fully operational.
Those features or combination of features that contribute to the environmental quality, integrity or character of this area are listed below.
LLPA 1 Maghera Churches, round tower, rectory and river corridor
- Carrigs River and flat river corridor lands provide a setting to Maghera and a series of nearby historic sites as well as local nature conservation interest;
- historic building and 2 state care monuments with public access and their surroundings - listed modern church circa 1825, gates and walls, ruined medieval church dating to around the 13th century in middle of circular multi period graveyard and ruins of round tower illustrating intensive archaeological activity on site dating to Early Christian period;
- industrial archaeology in association with dismantled railway, bridges and former mill race;
- important trees along field boundaries and access to church site;
- locally important traditional dwelling/rectory surrounded by mature trees and originally linked to church avenue for access; and
- protection of attractive vistas between state care monument and listed church and the settlement and its approach roads.