Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Down District: Loughinisland
Proposal LD 01 Settlement Limit
|A Settlement Limit is designated in accordance with Policy SETT 1 in Volume 1 of the Plan and as indicated on Map No. 3/036a, Loughinisland Settlement Map.
The designated Settlement Limit is drawn to prevent encroachment on the setting of Loughinisland Churches to the east and allow for limited expansion of the settlement on suitable low lying lands.
Proposal LD 02 Local Landscape Policy Area
|The following Local Landscape Policy Area is designated in accordance with Policy CON 2 in Volume 1 of the Plan and as indicated on Map No. 3/036a Loughinisland Settlement Map and Map No. 3/036b.
Those features or combination of features that contribute to the environmental quality, integrity or character of this area are listed below.
LLPA 1 Loughinisland Churches, Lake and environs
- archaeological site at Loughinisland Churches has a unique landscape setting – they sit on small island within Loughinisland Lake accessed via a causeway;
- 3 churches (in ruins) including St MacArtan’s Chapel set in multi period graveyard, and access road – an archaeological monument in state care, open for public access and enjoyment and an important ecclesiastical site;
- Loughinisland Lake and margins have local nature conservation interest, immense scenic value and contain a submerged archaeologically important crannog;
- potential for enhanced public access to the lake for recreational purposes – already important for fishing;
- localised hills rise to north, west and east of the lake;
- other archaeological sites – Annadorn Dolmen, passage and tomb in state care and rath on hilltop to north side of Loughinisland Road; and
- undeveloped fields between settlement limit and margins of lake afford attractive vistas of the lake, monuments and surroundings from the edge of Loughinisland.