Fermanagh Area Plan 2007
Environment: Man Env 5 Protection of State Care Monuments
|The Department will protect the sites and settings of monuments which are in State Care or which may be taken into care in the future|
The following monuments are currently in State Care, managed by the Environment and Heritage Service:
- Church at Aghalurcher Glebe.
- Dual Court Tomb: Giants Grave Aghanaglack.
- Old Castle Archdale, Bunaninver.
- Castle Balfour, Lisnaskea.
- Monastic Remains, Churches and Round Tower, Devenish Island.
- Enniskillen Castle.
- Church and Cross, Inishmacsaint Island.
- Monea Castle.
- Tully Castle and Village Site.
- Church and Carved Figures, White Island.
- Stone Circle, Cairn and Alignment, Drumskinny.
- Portora Castle, Enniskillen
These monuments represent that part of the rich archaeological and historic heritage of Fermanagh which is in the care of the Department. Proposals for development in the vicinity of these monuments which would be likely to have an adverse effect on their site or setting will not be permitted. Particular attention will be paid to the impact of the proposal on :
(i) the area of historic landscape in which the site or monument functioned;
(ii) the critical views of, and from the site or monument;
(iii) the access and public approaches to the site or monument;
(iv) the understanding and enjoyment of the site or monument by visitors.
All other archaeological sites or monuments are in private and other ownerships and it is the Department's policy to safeguard these features of the historic landscape and their settings.