Derry Area Plan 2011
Introduction: Planning Policy Statements
Planning Policy Statements (PPSs) set out the policies of the Department on different aspects of land use planning. Their contents apply to the whole of Northern Ireland and will be taken into account in the preparation of Development Plans and may also be material to decisions taken on individual planning applications and appeals.
The Department has published 6 PPSs to-date: May 2000
- PPS1 General Principles: March 1998
- PPS2 Planning and Nature Conservation: June 1997
- PPS3 Development Control’s Roads Considerations: May 1996
- PPS4 Industrial Development: March 1997
- PPS5 Retailing and Town Centres: June 1996
- PPS6 Planning, Archaeology and the Built Heritage: March 1999
Two further PPSs have been issued in draft form:
- PPS8 Open Space, Sport and Recreation: March 1999
- PPS9 The Enforcement of Planning Control: March 1999
PPSs may from time to time be revised to take account of changing circumstances, including experience gained through the Development Planning and Development Control processes. Good practice guides may also be issued to illustrate how concepts contained in PPS can best be implemented. A programme of future PPS publications is proposed as set out in the Department’s Corporate Business Plan.