Derry Area Plan 2011
Appendix 4: Historic Gardens, Parks and Demesnes (Page 2 of 2)
Situated in urban surroundings a good portion of the grounds of the house of 1873 (HB 1/22/7) remain planted up. The site slopes towards the River Foyle. The west end is mostly walled in with brick and is cultivated. There is a rose garden south of the house and shrubbery on either side of the twisting avenue to the eastern gate.
This is a well wooded site above the River Faughan. The house dates from the early 19th century and has an attractive conservatory (HB 1/6/12). The grounds slopes steeply from the house and new ornamental gardens are being constructed.
The present garden layout dates from the 1930s and contains a summer house and pond. The house is a late 19th century replacement for a house built before the siege (1689). The house and outbuildings are Listed (HB 1/27/18). The road separates this site from the walled garden on the south side. This garden, though not fully maintained, retains its box hedging.
The house is now a special school and the present building dates from the early 19th century (HB 1/26/6). Parkland remains around the house in an otherwise built-up area and contains some fine mature trees. The part-walled garden to the east of the house is cultivated.
This site is still a valuable open space though it has lost many of its attributes. It is of interest as the core of the late 18th century house, some fine mature trees and a walled garden remain. The Foyle Bridge sweeps above the grounds, which go down to the edge of the River Foyle on the western banks. The name derives from the boom put across the river from this position during the siege of 1689.
Well surrounded by mature trees and protected from winds, this garden retains its original layout and enhances the mid-19th century house (HB 1/26/3). There are late formal beds in lawns and a cultivated part walled garden.
The house was built for The Honourable The Irish Society for their general agent in 1849 (HB 1/12/6). It is sited in parkland and surrounded by mature trees with fine views over the River Foyle. A cultivated walled garden with greenhouses lies to the north west of the house.
Sometimes known as Learmount Castle the holding goes back to the Plantation, when the lands were held for the Skinner’s Company. The present house dates from 1830 (HB 1/1/10) and it is placed above a steep terraced drop to the River Faughan below. The terracing is grassed and decorated with ornamental yew trees. There is an unused walled garden to the immediate south of the house. The demesne is administered by the Forest Service and contains commercial plantation and mature deciduous trees in an area once noted for its “..... large and valuable timber ....”(Lewis, 1837).
A mid-19th century house (HB 1/12/14) on the site of an earlier house, with shelter belt trees and ornamental trees near to the house, shrubberies and a pond. The walled garden is not cultivated, an iron framed conservatory is built onto the back of the former Land Steward’s House, facing the main house.
The present house was remodelled in the 1860s (HB 1/2/3). The main interest on the site is the tree planting along the River Faughan, remains of extensive early 19th century planting recorded in the Register of Trees for County Londonderry, 1768-1911. There are no ornamental gardens today and the walled garden is disused.
St. Columb’s Park
The early 19th century house (HB 1/9/1) is now used for community and educational purposes and the grounds are a public park. The site commands good views over the River Foyle, though original land was lost when the hospital was built following the purchase of the land by Londonderry Corporation in 1939. There are some fine mature trees particularly beech on undulating land with streamside walks. A small portion of ornamental gardens remain near the house. The ruins of St. Columb’s Chapel are on the site.
The site is associated with the North West of Ireland Agricultural Society School in the mid-19th century, of which nothing of a garden nature remains. The interest lies in the then owners early 19th century tree planting in Muff Glen as recorded in the Register of Trees for County Londonderry, 1768-1911. Many of these specimens survive.
Thornhill (Convent of Mercy)
This is an elevated site above the River Foyle for a house of 1880 (HB 1/25/1) with steep grass terracing. As these were grounds for a previous house there are some mature trees remaining, notably near the river. The walled garden is part cultivated.