Craigavon Area Plan 2010
Settlement Proposals: Tartaraghan
Tartaraghan is situated approximately 2.5km south of The Birches/M1 Motorway junction, in the County Armagh orchard belt (see Map No. 28). The nucleus of the settlement is a Northern Ireland Housing Executive estate, adjacent to a public house. St Paul's Church is a landmark feature and the setting of the area is enhanced by significant stands of trees.
The existing sewage treatment works is at capacity. Development opportunities are limited to infill development only. Single dwellings of an appropriate design will normally be permitted on suitable sites within the settlement limit.
Development proposals for land within the settlement limit will be assessed in accordance with Plan Policy SETT 1 and other relevant policies contained within the Plan.
An existing area of formal open space, north of the church, is zoned for open space.
A Local Landscape Policy Area (LLPA) is designated in the centre of Tartaraghan, around St Paul's Parish Church, a listed building, which is a landmark for the surrounding countryside. The main elements of the LLPA are the Church and graveyard, Laurel Cottage and Belmont House. The Church dates from 1816, with Laurel Cottage, a single storey cottage, being similar in age. Belmont House, dating from 1835, is a two storey dwelling showing late Georgian detail. Both Laurel Cottage and Belmont House are listed buildings. The planting associated with the buildings, together with the pasture land to the south of the Church, are important elements of the LLPA. In particular, the open aspect of the pasture land provides views to the Church on the approach from Clantilew Road. The LLPA is designated to protectthe surroundings of the listed buildings, the important tree groups and the attractive vistas, which combine to provide an area of significant landscape and visual amenity.