Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Preamble: Equality of Opportunity
The Northern Ireland Act 1998, Section 75 has placed the following statutory requirement on each public authority:
- to carry out its functions with due regard to the need to promote
- equality of opportunity:
- between persons of different religious belief, political opinion, racial group, age, marital status or sexual orientation;
- between men and women generally, between persons with a disability and persons without; and
- between persons with dependants and persons without.
- Without prejudice to its obligation under subsection (1) a public authority shall, in carrying out its functions relating to Northern Ireland, have regard to the desirability of promoting good relations between persons of different religious belief, political opinion or racial group.
The Department has sought to ensure that this Plan does not have the effect of discriminating against individuals or groups of people who have these characteristics. The Equality Impact Assessment of the policies and proposals contained in this Plan has considered any potentially adverse effects on these groups. The Assessment is published as one of the supporting documents to the Written Statement.