Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Down District: Saul
|Proposal SL 01 Settlement Limit|
A Settlement Limit is designated in accordance with Policy SETT 1 in Volume 1 of the Plan
and as indicated on Map No. 3/039, Saul Settlement Map.
The designated Settlement Limit is drawn to prevent coalescence of the two clusters of development, prevent further expansion of development into the surrounding countryside of high visual amenity and historic importance and protect the setting of St Patrick’s Memorial Church on the hill above the settlement.
|Proposal SL 02 Local Landscape Policy Area|
|The following Local Landscape Policy Area is designated in accordance with Policy CON 2 in Volume 1 of the Plan and as indicated on Map No. 3/039, Saul Settlement Map .|
Those features or combination of features that contribute to the environmental quality, integrity or character of this area are listed below.
LLPA 1 St Patrick’s Memorial Church and environs
- small listed stone church sits on elevated site with panoramic views of surrounding countryside and Saul;
- site of Saul Abbey and first Christian Church built by St Patrick in 432 AD– important archaeological site including graveyard, mortuary houses, coffin lid, etc. and wider archaeological potential within area;
- wider setting of listed and archaeological site includes land adjoining the settlement limit and lands to the west to include the ridgetop;
- steep sided valley with stream corridor provides important undeveloped buffer and visual break between two separate settlement nodes;
- industrial archaeology – site of former flax mill and mill race; and
- important tourist attraction within the historical area known as “St Patrick’s Country”.