Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Ards Borough: Greyabbey (Page 2 of 2)
LLPA 1 Greyabbey House/Rosemount, Abbey, Church and demesne
- listed Greyabbey House, 2 pretty gate lodges beside the abbey and the primary school and gates and their planned settings comprising the historic demesne itself;
- extensive areas of parkland landscape, shelter belts and mature woodland overlooking Strangford Lough;
- late 12th century Cistercian Abbey in ruins and associated grounds and graveyard – archaeological monument in state care and open to the public, visible from the house and from which the village takes its name;
- historic landscape with archaeological monuments – scheduled rath and earthworks in addition to abbey;
- listed St Saviour’s Parish Church on elevated site surrounded by mature trees overlooking site of abbey; and
- collectively the features associated with the demesne lands, including woodland and heritage features and listed buildings, and the abbey form a distinctive landscape and historic setting to Greyabbey.
A substantial part of these lands is also designated as a Historic Park, Garden and Demesne of special historic interest under Proposal COU 7 in Volume 1 of the Plan. Additional information about the site can be found in the Northern Ireland Environment Agency’s Register of Parks, Gardens and Demesnes of Special Historic Interest.
LLPA 2 Cottage Hill and surroundings
- small listed traditional church now converted to a dwelling and its surroundings including mature trees and vegetation, modern graveyard, and undeveloped fields providing views of the listed building from the road and a visual linkage with the church and demesne opposite;
- localised hill – former church occupies hilltop site visible over a wide area and along approach roads to Greyabbey and includes surrounding slopes to back of the former church and above dwellings on Church Street;
- listed dwellings on Church Street provide attractive visual stop to Main Street and their gardens rising behind comprise part of the setting of Cottage Hill; and
- localised hill with important tree group and listed building is important and prominent feature in the local landscape.
LLPA 3 Hill behind Main Street
- localised hill – prominent lands providing distinctive landscape setting to village and screening development on Main Street approaching from Newtownards or Carrowdore.
This historic demesne village took shape from the mid-17th Century onwards; it was recorded in The Ordnance Survey Memoirs of 1832-34 as ‘one long street leading from the shore and two short ones crossing the long one at each end’; basically the same layout as today. The main Newtownards to Portaferry road passes through at the western end, emerging to the south along an artificial causeway (circa 1830) on the shores of Strangford Lough.
Architecturally it is varied, including Gothic, Renaissance, The Picturesque and Georgian styles. A sense of cohesiveness is obtained, by the use of a common scale and proportions, and the use of similar materials.
The design of development proposals within the designated area should be in keeping with the overall historic layout and form of the village, and in terms of scale, massing, materials and detailing. Furthermore, proposals should be respectful of the particular styles of host and/or adjoining buildings to retain the significance and architectural integrity of key elements within the townscape. The physical and symbolic interrelationships between the Village, The Abbey and the Demesne are paramount, especially at The Square and Church Street where they appear to converge.
It is considered that Greyabbey possesses a special character and sense of place and it is the Department’s view that the historic village is of sufficient significance to merit designation as a Conservation Area. The Department intends to do so as and when resources permit.
The area identified reflects the area of post-medieval settlement, where on the basis of current knowledge, it is likely that archaeological remains will be encountered in the course of development.
There are two existing areas of active and amenity open space immediately beyond the settlement limit at North Street and south of Cuan Gardens.