Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Ards Borough: Carrowdore
Carrowdore is a small inland village approximately 11 kilometres from Newtownards, and centrally located between Newtownards, Millisle, Ballywalter and Greyabbey.
The expansive and predominantly residential Main Street provides a focus for the village, particularly the petrol filling station, shop and post office. Other facilities include a primary school and a recently constructed integrated secondary school.
The quarry on Manse Road to the south of the village is a determining factor on the location of new development.
Carrowdore Castle Estate at Ballyrawer provides a distinct elevated setting to the north, as highlighted in the recent Northern Ireland Landscape Assessment.
|Proposal CE 01 Settlement Limit|
|A Settlement Limit is designated in accordance with Policy SETT 1 in Volume 1 of the Plan and as indicated on Map No. 2/009a, Carrowdore Settlement Map.|
The Settlement Limit has been designated to ensure the optimum use of existing land within the settlement and the protection of the village setting.
It is also designated to prevent urban sprawl, in particular the further expansion of the village to the east and potential coalescence with the neighbouring small settlement of Ballyboley to the south. Included within the designated limit is an area of Community Woodland to the west of Johnston Park.
An extension is provided to the north at Abbey Road to include the site occupied by the new Strangford Integrated College.
|HPA 1 Lands at Main Street to the South West of Johnston Park|
|HPA 2 31 – 39 Main Street|
|access arrangements and dwelling layout shall be designed to ensure that houses front onto Main Street to ensure a strong street frontage and onto any proposed internal access roads.|
Planning Applications within all Housing Policy Areas above will also be processed in accordance with all prevailing planning policy.
Those features or combination of features that contribute to the environmental quality, integrity or character of these areas are listed below.
LLPA 1 Carrowdore Castle and Christ Church
- listed Carrowdore Castle (house), outbuildings and gazebo and its planned demesne surroundings;
- planned parkland landscape with important mature tree groups and shelter belts, lake and gardens providing diverse habitats for wildlife;
- listed Christ Church on slightly elevated site and its setting comprising the surrounding slopes and the laneway link to the demesne/house;
- important mature trees line access road and laneway to church;
- listed gates and screens with backcloth of mature trees provide attractive entrance feature into Carrowdore and are directly in view along Abbey Road;
- archaeological interest – 2 enclosures within the demesne grounds; and
- demesne grounds containing heritage features and mature trees provide sense of enclosure and a landscape setting to the village.
A substantial part of these lands is also designated as a Historic Park, Garden and Demesne under Proposal COU 7 in Volume 1 of the Plan. Additional information about the site can be found in the Northern Ireland Environment Agency’s Register of Parks, Gardens and Demesnes of Special Historic Interest.