Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Ards Borough: Ballywalter (Page 2 of 2)
|IPA 1 Builders merchants, Greyabbey Road|
This builders merchants complex is a replacement for the existing site in the centre of the village. It is a major employer in the area and provides a service for the local construction industry. It is important that it is retained for this purpose.
Those features or combination of features that contribute to the environmental quality, integrity or character of these areas are listed below:
LLPA 1 Ballywalter Park and coastline
- important tree groups and woodland areas within historic demesne boundary provide an attractive backdrop and distinctive landscape setting to the village when viewed from the north and a gateway feature from the south and west;
- listed house, lodges, and entrance gates and their surroundings comprising the historic park itself;
- archaeological site – landscape feature and tree ring;
- mature tree belts and stone walls enclose the coast road on both sides; and
- significant new planting undertaken in the area between the coast road and the beach to supplement existing trees.
LLPA 2 Holy Trinity Church and setting
- listed church and surrounding grounds, adjoining rectory and lands to south; and
- important mature trees around church and along boundaries of the site down to Dunover Road form an attractive entrance feature into the village from the north and visual stop to development from the south.
LLPA 3 Dwellings on Dunover Road and vegetation
- important tree groups and mature vegetation surrounding 2 detached dwellings (one the former Presbyterian Manse) set in large plots form good entrance feature into village along Dunover Road and screen development to south.
LLPA 4 Harbour Area and shoreline
- area of local amenity importance comprising the shoreline, harbour, public walkways and picnic areas affording panoramic views seaward over the harbour and along the coastline.
There are a number of important areas of amenity, open space and recreation use outside the settlement limit and between it and the coast.