Retail Development in Craigavon, Lurgan and Portadown
Published on Tue, 20 Dec 2005
The Department of Environment Planning Service has published the Draft Craigavon Town Centre Boundaries and Retail Designations Plan.
The Draft Plan sets out a policy framework to guide retail development in the three commercial centres of Central Craigavon, Lurgan and Portadown up to the year 2010 and embodies the Government's commitment to sustainable development.
Welcoming the publication, DOE Minister Jeff Rooker said: "This Plan promotes the regeneration and growth of Lurgan and Portadown town centres and the maintenance of existing retail activity levels in Central Craigavon. It will provide a sound basis for decisions on commercial development in those three town centres.
"I would like to express my gratitude to the members of Craigavon Borough Council, whose involvement at the Issues Paper stage in the process has been invaluable. I would also encourage all interested parties to consider the retail strategy, designations and policies contained in the plan, which will be on display in the Divisional Planning Office Marlborough House over the consultation period. I would like as many people as possible to participate in the consultation process.
"The consultation period ends on 14 February 2006 and it is important that all representations and objections are received by the Department before the closing date."
As well as designating town centres boundaries for Central Craigavon, Lurgan and Portadown, the Plan identifies Primary Retail Cores for the three centres towards which retail development will be directed. It also identifies those parts of Lurgan and Portadown town centres which should be retained in retail use.
Notes to Editors
- The Craigavon Town Centre Boundaries & Retail Designations Plan is additional to the Craigavon Area Plan 2010, (which was adopted in August 2004) and has been endorsed by the Department for Regional Development through the issue of a certificate of general conformity with the Regional Development Strategy.
- The Draft Craigavon Town Centre Boundaries & Retail Designations Plan sets out a policy framework to guide decisions on retail development across the three town centres of Central Craigavon, Lurgan and Portadown up to the year 2010. The Plan will be taken into account as a material consideration in the determination of planning applications and appeals.
- The Draft Plan has been prepared within the context of the Regional Development Strategy and other regional planning policies.
- The Department for Regional Development has determined that the Draft Plan is in general conformity with the Regional Development Strategy.
- The Department is also publishing two supporting documents to accompany the Draft Plan, a Strategic Environment Assessment and the Colliers CRE Retail Study Report.
- Copies of the Draft Plan and the supporting documents are available to purchase at the Craigavon Divisional Planning Office, Marlborough House, Central Way, Craigavon.
- The Draft Plan and supporting documents will be made available on this website.
- Representations in support of, or objections to any of the strategies, policies or designations contained in the Draft Plan should be submitted in writing and must be received by the Department not later than 5.00pm on 14 February 2006.
- For news media information contact DOE Press Office on 028 9054 0003