Angela Smith Announces The First Steps Towards Electronic Planning
Published on Thu, 16 Oct 2003
All relevant strategy, policy and control documents that govern the planning process are now on-line for the first time.
This was highlighted by Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Angela Smith, MP, today when she launched DOE Planning Service’s new website.
Angela Smith said: "We have almost 27,000 planning applications per year in Northern Ireland and the figure continues to grow. It is vital that we provide a website that is more accessible, more open and more informative for citizens, agents and all those involved in the planning process.
"For the first time, this new facility gives on-line access to all the relevant strategy, policy and control documents that govern the process. The site also provides the opportunity to download planning application forms to fill in. Further, it provides a complete up-to-date list of all Area Plans; all current Area Plan Issues papers; and the first on-line Area Plan for Ards and Down, including the maps associated with the plan.
"The launch of this new Planning Service Website represents the first in a series of information technology developments that will ensure that all key planning services are delivered electronically by the end of 2005.
"It represents one of the first ‘visible deliverables’ emanating from the Modernising Planning Processes Implementation Plan that I launched in February this year. The Plan gives a commitment to modernise and reform planning processes within a firm timescale and the availability now of this new public resource underlines my determination to create a more coordinated, transparent, speedier, and efficient planning process for the public."
These documents can be accessed on this website or via the eGovernment portal www.onlineni.gov.uk.
Notes to Editors
- The Planning Service Internet Website went live on 29 September 2003.
- The site is also accessible via the onlineNI eGovernment portal http://www.onlineni.gov.uk.
- The old site will remain available for the next three months to allow for updating of the numerous links from other sites to specific documents.
- The site has been designed in line with all current guidelines, with ease-of-use and accessibility to the fore, and reflects all the comments received in relation to the old Planning Service site. Forms can be completed on-screen and printed. All material, with the exception of copyrighted maps, can be downloaded and used subject to the source being acknowledged and URL quoted. Additional facilities will be added in coming months - ultimately leading to a comprehensive ePlanning solution that will be delivered by the "electronic Planning Information for Citizens (ePIC)" project by the end of 2005.
- The Modernising Planning Processes Implementation Plan and further details on the ePIC project are available on the Website or by writing to Modernising Planning, DOE, Clarence Court, 10-18 Adelaide Street, Belfast, BT2 8GB.
- For further information please contact Philip Maguire DOE Information Office Tel 028 9054 0013 mobile 07713 652815 email firstname.lastname@example.org