Smith Announces Consultation On New Planning And Economic Development
Published on Fri, 24 Jan 2003
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Angela Smith, MP, today invited the public to comment on a Revised Planning Policy Statement: PPS 4 "Industry, Business and Distribution" produced by DOE Planning Service.
Ms Smith said: "The Government is determined to secure a competitive economy for Northern Ireland and this Statement embodies the Government’s commitment to facilitate and promote economic growth and job creation in ways compatible with environmental objectives and sustainable development.
"The Government wishes to see a dynamic and vibrant economy, creating opportunities for all in a wide range of sectors, with many more jobs in the new knowledge-based economy and appropriate redevelopment of traditional manufacturing and tradeable services sectors.
"The planning system has a key role in achieving this vibrant economy and this PPS seeks to facilitate the economic development needs of Northern Ireland in ways consistent with the protection of the environment. It sets out planning policies for industrial development and business uses and indicates how economic growth associated with such uses can be accommodated in development plans. These policies are designed to support Northern Ireland’s competitiveness and to achieve further sustainable economic growth.
"This is a key policy statement for the promotion of Northern Ireland’s economic well-being and I hope that as many people and organisations as possible will take advantage of the consultation period to make comments and representations to inform the production of the final document."
Consultation will be carried out over the next four months with the final version of the document being published in autumn when the views expressed have been considered.
Notes to Editors
- Planning Policy Statement 4 (PPS 4) can be accessed on this website.
- PPS 4 has been prepared in accordance with the statutory function of the DOE "to formulate and co-ordinate policy for the orderly and consistent development of land and the planning of that development" under the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991. In fulfilling of this responsibility, DOE publishes a variety of policy documents, including Planning Policy Statements and regional locational strategies. The Statement reflects the sustainability objectives expressed through the Regional Development Strategy in relation to the delivery of economic development and job creation.
- The main purpose of this Statement is to set out the planning policies for industrial development, including research and development into industrial products and processes, storage and distribution, and office and business uses as defined in Classes 2 and 3 of the Planning (Use Classes) Order (Northern Ireland) 1989. The key objectives are:
- to promote sustainable economic development;
- to tackle disadvantage and facilitate job creation in an environmentally sensitive manner;
- to ensure the provision of a generous supply of land suitable for business and industry and a choice and range in terms of quality, size and location;
- to support the re-use of previously developed sites and buildings where they meet the needs of particular economic sectors;
- to improve integration between transport and locations for economic development ;
- to ensure a high standard of quality and design for new development;
- and to ensure that the natural and built heritage is protected.
For further information, contact Paddy Murphy, DOE Press Office on
028 9054 0013, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org