Angela Smith Introduces New Planning Policy Statement Aimed At Promoting Highest Standards Of Waste Management Facilities
Published on Mon, 23 Dec 2002
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Angela Smith, MP, today announced the introduction of a new policy document on Planning and Waste Management, Planning Policy Statement 11 (PPS 11).
PPS 11 seeks to promote the highest standards in development proposals for waste management facilities. It will update planning policy to facilitate the changes in waste management proposed by the DOE’s Waste Management Strategy. A draft PPS 11 was issued on 8 May and has been amended as a result of consultation.
Angela Smith explained: "PPS 11 sets out the DOE’s planning policies for the development of waste management facilities. It seeks to promote the highest standards from anyone submitting development proposals for waste management facilities. Further, it includes guidance on the issues likely to be considered in the determination of planning applications. In addition, PPS 11 explains the relationship between the planning system and the authorities responsible for the regulation and management of waste.
"In essence therefore, PPS 11 is an important element along with the Regional Development Strategy and Waste Management Strategy in developing a new policy framework aimed at ensuring that Northern Ireland has first class facilities for dealing with the management of our waste. I urge everyone involved to read this Planning Policy Statement carefully."
Notes to Editors
- Planning Policy Statements (PPSs) set out the policies of the Department of the Environment on particular aspects of land use planning. They influence the content of development plans and the outcome of planning applications.
- Copies of this document may be obtained by telephoning 028 9054 0111.The document can also be accessed on this website.
- Planning Policy Statement 11 is framed by the existing relevant EC Directives, the Regional Development Strategy (RDS) and the Department’s Waste Management Strategy for Northern Ireland.
- The Consultation Draft of PPS 11 was issued on 8th May 2001. It was amended to take on board issues raised in the consultation process.
- For further media information please contact Philip Maguire, DOE Press Office, Tel: 028 9054 0013.