Attwood gives green light to Shared Education Campus in Omagh
Published on Fri, 3 May 2013 by email@example.com.
Environment Minister Alex Attwood today announced that he is recommending planning approval for a new Shared Educational Campus in Omagh.Environment Minister Alex Attwood today announced that he is recommending planning approval for a new Shared Educational Campus in Omagh.
The development at Lisanelly includes up to six core school buildings, including a new special needs school to replace the Arvalee School, shared facilities, sports pitches and associated ancillary works and car parking.
Alex Attwood said: “I have recommended approval to the local council for the development of this new shared education campus in Omagh and the redevelopment of the Lisanelly and St Lucia MOD sites.
“This is a huge redevelopment scheme which will benefit all of Omagh and the surrounding areas for many years. It will create much needed employment during the development of the site and the construction of the new buildings, and become a model for education for the future.
“The new campus will be at the forefront of shared education in Omagh and the North. The Executive is committed to progressing work on the plan for a Lisanelly Shared Education Campus as part of the Programme for Government. This moves the project forward. The recommendation proves how DOE can fulfil its dual mandate as the leading Environment Ministry and a leading Economy Ministry.”
The proposed site straddles the River Strule and includes two former MOD sites which were gifted to the NI Executive in 2007. The new buildings are proposed on c111acres of lands on the Lisanelly site with c15acres of lands within part of the St Lucia camp also being developed.
As part of the scheme a new road will be developed from the Derry Road, with a new bridge across the River Strule to connect into the Strathroy Road.
The DOE will be consulting Omagh District Council on its opinion to approve these applications on 7 May 2013.
Notes to editors:
1. Planning application K/2011/0736/O for a “Shared Educational Campus - including up to six core school buildings, shared facilities, sports pitches and associated ancillary accommodation and car parking” was submitted to DOE Planning and Local Government Group on 14 December 2011. The application is accompanied by an Environmental Statement.
2. The applicant is the Department of Education (NI).
3. The Department received one letter of representation to the application.
4. Planning application K/2011/0258/F for the “Construction of a link road and roundabout between Derry Road roundabout and Strathroy Road and a new bridge crossing the River Strule” was submitted to DOE Planning and Local Government Group on 08 April 2011. The application is accompanied by an Environmental Statement.
5. The applicant is the Department of Regional Development – Roads Service.
6. The Department received two letters of representation to the application.
7. Both applications are being dealt with by the Department of Environment’s Planning and Local Government Group – Western Area Office.
8. Both applications are being presented to the meeting of Omagh Council Planning and Public Services Committee on 07 May 2013 with an opinion to approve.
9. The programme for Government 2011-15 includes progressing Lisanelly Shared Education Campus under Priority 4 Building a Shared Community.
10. For media enquiries or images contact DOE Press Office Tel: 028 9025 6057. Out of office hours, call the Executive Information Service’s Duty Press Officer on 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.