New hotel will bring jobs boost to Newry – Mark H Durkan
Published on Fri, 9 Aug 2013 by email@example.com.
Environment Minister Mark H Durkan has announced DOE Planning approval for a new hotel and offices in Newry.Newry and Mourne District Council endorsed the proposal for a 120-bed hotel, over 22 000 sq feet office development, landscaping and car parking.
The project – estimated to cost in the region of £12million - is to be located at the former ATS Garage at Downshire Road Newry.
Mark H Durkan said: “This is good news for Newry. It’s a significant development scheme which will provide a real boost for the City and the surrounding area for many years. It will create jobs during the development and construction phases, with more local jobs in the long term.
“The new hotel will benefit tourism potential, providing accommodation in an area that is the gateway to the Mourne Mountains. The additional office accommodation will also offer more choice for the business community.
“What I and DOE are about is creating a better environment and a stronger economy. The decision to approve this hotel will help do that.”
DOE Planning consulted with Newry and Mourne District Council on 8 August who raised no objections to the proposal.
Notes to editors:
1. Planning application P/2009/0978/F was received by the Department on 30 July 2009. The proposal is for the erection of a mixed-used development comprising 120 bed hotel and associated facilities, 2054m2 (22109 sq ft) office development, landscaping, car parking, associated site and access works at the Former ATS Garage, 12A Downshire Road, Newry.
2. The applicants are Merit Investments and Properties Ltd, part of the Magherafelt-based Conway Group.
3. There was one objection to the scheme.
4. The application was presented to the meeting of Newry and Mourne District Council on 8 August 2013 with an opinion to approve.
5. For media enquiries and image contact DOE Press Office Tel: 028 9025 6058. Out of office hours, call the Executive Information Service’s Duty Press Officer on 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.