- ICNIRP - International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection
- IDB - Industrial Development Board
- IEGMP - The Independent Expert Group on Mobile Phones
- IFI - International Fund for Ireland
- IPPC - Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control
- Incineration - The burning of waste at high temperatures. This results in a reduction in bulk and may involve energy reclamation.
- Industrial Waste - Wastes from any factory, transportation apparatus, from scientific research, dredging, sewage and scrap metal.
- Inert Waste - Waste material that does not undergo any significant physical, chemical or biological transformations when deposited in landfill. Inert waste will not dissolve, burn or otherwise physically or chemically react, biodegrade or adversely affect other matter with which it comes into contact in a way likely to give rise to environmental pollution or harm human health. The total leachability and pollutant content of the waste and the leachate must be insignificant, and in particular not endanger the quality of surface water and/or groundwater.