Information Leaflet 8: Handling of Major Planning Applications (Article 31 Cases)
Date: November 2003
Article 31 of the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991 enables the Department to deal with major planning applications under special procedures.
This information note seeks to provide clarity on the handling of major Planning applications, but is for guidance only and can not be regarded as definitive or as having any legal effect.
- What is an Article 31 Planning Application?
- What types of application might be subject to Article 31?
- How will 'Strategic Significance' be Assessed?
- How will 'Environmental Effects' be Assessed?
- What are the 'Scale and Nature' Thresholds in Assessing Applications against Article 31?
- How is the process route decided?