Information Leaflet 7: Hierarchy of Planning Documents and their Role in Making a Planning Decision
Date: May 2004
The purpose of this leaflet is to provide information on the various planning documents that are used in the decision-making process.
It attempts to simplify a complex area and to do so as straightforwardly as possible. However, it is intended simply as a guide and its contents should not be relied upon as an authoritative interpretation of the law.
- What Are The Main Documents Used By The Department In Considering a Planning Application?
- Are there other documents that the Department takes into account in assessing proposals?
- What other matters does the Department take into account when making its decisions on planning applications?
- What about the impact of planning decisions on Human Rights ?
- Who decides the weight that is given to the various material considerations?