Planning Portal

Home owners: Rapairs & Maintenance


General improvements and repairs to a house

Planning permission is generally not required for improvements and repairs unless the work involves a considerable change to the outside appearance of the house.

Changing external windows and doors

Planning permission is not required provided you are using existing window and door openings. You may, however, need permission to replace a flat window with a bay or bow window. You should check with your local planning office before starting work.

Painting the exterior of a house

Planning permission is not required provided that the painting is not for the purpose of advertisement, announcement or direction.
If you live in a Conservation Area special guidance is available from your local planning office on the use of materials and other detailed design issues. If you are planning repairs and maintenance to your home you are encouraged to consult this guidance.

Internal alterations to a house

Planning permission is not required provided that the use as a house is not changed.

Cladding the outside of a house

Planning permission is required in a conservation area, World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park.
In other areas planning permission is not required although the materials used should be of similar appearance to those used on the exterior of the existing house.
If you live in a house which is a listed building, it is likely that you will need Listed Building Consent for any building operations. If the development is within the curtilage of a listed building you may need to submit a planning application for the work unless listed building consent has already been granted. Your local planning office will be able to advise you.
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)