Planning Portal

Home Owners: Change of Use

Under the Planning (Use Classes) Order (NI) 2015 "Class C1" classes Dwellinghouses as use as a dwelling house (whether or not as sole or main residence)
  1. by a single person or by people living together as a family; or
  2. by not more than 6 residents living together as a single household where care is provided for residents.
Generally planning permission is required when a proposed use falls within a different "class" as defined in the Planning (Use Classes) Order (NI) 2015.  For example, a change of use from a dwelling to a creche requires permission.
Before you negotiate a lease or buy a property, it may be advisable to consider whether you need to obtain planning permission for your intended use and, if so, your chances of getting it.  Ask your local planning office if in doubt.
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)