Planning Portal

Advice and Guidance: Examples of when to apply for planning permission

  • You want to make additions or extensions to a flat or maisonette (including those converted from houses). (But you do not need planning permission to carry out internal alterations or work which does not affect the external appearance of the building.)
  • You want to divide off part of your house for use as a separate home (for example, a self-contained flat or bed-sit) or use a caravan in your garden as a home for someone else. (But you do not need planning permission to let one or two of your rooms to lodgers so long as the main use remains that of a private residence.)
  • You want to build a separate house in your garden.
  • You want to divide off part of your home for business or commercial use (for example, a workshop) or you want to build a parking place for a commercial vehicle at your home.
  • You want to build something which goes against the terms of the original planning permission for your house - for example, your house may have been built with a restriction to stop people putting up fences in front gardens because it is on an "open plan" estate. Planning Service has a record of all planning permissions in your area.
  • The work you want to do might obstruct the view of road users.
  • The work would involve a new or wider access to a trunk or classified road.
Other small changes, for example putting up walls and fences below a certain height, have a general planning permission for which a specific application is not required.
Elsewhere in this service there is further advice on when you will need to apply for planning permission. If this does not cover what you wish to do, you should discuss your proposals with the local divisional planning office or Planning Service Headquarters.
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)