Planning Portal

Farmers: General advice

You do not always need planning permission to carry out development on a farm holding.
Certain development on a farm holding is deemed to be permitted development. This includes works for the erection, extension or alteration of a building or for any excavation or engineering operations, which are reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture within the unit . However the development must comply with certain requirements set out in the relevant legislation, Part 6 of Schedule 1 to the Planning (General Development Order) (NI) 1993 , Agricultural Buildings and Operations.
Generally speaking planning permission is not required for changes to the inside of buildings, or for small alterations to the outside (e.g. the installation of an alarm box).
For most other types of development and changes of use you will generally need to apply for planning permission. Further information can be obtained by contacting your Local Area Planning Office.
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)