DCAN 14: Siting and Design of Radio Telecommunication Equipment
Annex D - Operator Commitments
The Mobile Operators Association (MOA), representing the main mobile telecommunications operators, has made the following ten commitments to:
- develop, with other stakeholders, clear standards and procedures to deliver significantly improved consultation with local communities;
- participate in obligatory pre-rollout and pre-application consultation with local planning authorities;
- publish clear, transparent and accountable criteria and cross-industry agreement on site sharing, against which progress will be published regularly;
- establish professional development workshops on technological developments within telecommunications for local authority officers and elected members;
- deliver, with the Government, a database of information available to the public on radio base stations;
- assess all radio base stations for international (ICNIRP) compliance for public exposure, and produce a programme for ICNIRP compliance for all radio base stations as recommended by the Independent Expert Group on Mobile Phones;
- provide, as part of planning applications for radio base stations, a certification of compliance with ICNIRP public exposure guidelines;
- provide specific staff resources to respond to complaints and enquiries about radio base stations, within ten working days; (See Annex F)
- begin financially supporting the Government’s independent scientific research programme on mobile communications health issues; and
- develop standard supporting documentation for all planning submissions whether full planning or prior approval3.
3 As from 21st July 2002 Prior Approval no longer exists in Northern Ireland. Applications for Mobile Phone Masts are subject to full application procedures.