DCAN 8: Housing in Existing Urban Areas
Structure of Advice Note
1.4 The Advice Note is divided into five parts:
- Part 1 outlines the purpose of the guidance and sets the overall context in relation to national trends.
- Part 2 deals with the policy context, focusing on the Regional Development Strategy and Planning Policy Statements, together with related supplementary planning guidance.
- Part 3 sets out a design-led approach to housing within existing urban areas and includes the strategic and detailed design principles which need to be taken into account.
- Part 4 focuses on new housing development in established residential areas, and highlights the importance of maintaining environmental quality, appreciating the context, and building on local character.
- Part 5 considers the different types of new residential development which can take place within existing urban areas.