Planning Portal

Sion Mills Conservation Area

Location: Co. Tyrone
Designation date: 25 March 1977


Sion Mills Conservation AreaThe Village of Sion Mills was formed in the early part of the Nineteenth Century by the Herdman family. The settlement which until 1835 consisted of three or four houses and a school developed around an old flour mill on the Mourne River which flows to the eastern side of the village.
The Conservation Area consists of the old core of mill worker’s dwellings that comprise of mainly a planned layout of terraced dwellings built at various dates in response to the expansion of the flax spinning mill and includes community buildings, the Mill Complex and detached residential property.

Related Maps

Planning Service recommends Adobe Reader v8 Opens link in a new browser window. or higher to view maps in pdf format.
These buildings include a miscellany of styles both of 19th century origin and of contemporary design. The area also includes the dwellings at Park Terrace and various amenity/open space areas including Church Square, the riverside area and the bridge.

The Design Guide

The design guide generally provides information on the planning context, historical development, description or character appraisal of the area, the designation and guidelines for development proposals.

Download the document

Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)