Planning Portal

Rostrevor Conservation Area

Location: Co. Down
Designation date: 09 February 1979

Background

Rostrevor Conservation AreaRostrevor is situated between the Rostrevor and Ghann Rivers at the junction of the Kilbroney Valley and Carlingford Lough.
The name Rostrevor first occurs in 1618. Until the 17th century, the settlement was called Castle Rory or Castle Roe after Rory Magennis who built a castle there. Previous to that, it has been referred to as Carrickavraghard, because of its possible associations with malting or brewing.

Related Maps

Planning Service recommends Adobe Reader v8 Opens link in a new browser window. or higher to view maps in pdf format.
The Conservation Area consists essentially of a tree-lined Square from which four roads radiate. Most of the buildings date from the early and mid 19th century.

The Design Guide

The design guide generally provides information on the planning context, historical development, description or character appraisal of the area, the designation and guidelines for development proposals.

Download the document

Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)