Planning Portal

Newry Conservation Area

Location: Co. Down
Designation date:
20 May 1983
Variation: 1 December 1992 (Extension)
Variation: 28 March 2001 (Extension)

Background

The foundation of Newry is traced to the establishment of the Cistercian Monastery in 1144 where tradition has it St. Patrick planted the yew trees from which the town derives its name. The monks' choice of location was on the high ground east of the Clanrye River.
Later development on the valley floor was influenced by the advantage to trade and communication offered by the river. The sacking of Newry in 1689 effectively raised the medieval fabric of the town and gave rise to the town as we now find it.

Related Maps

Planning Service recommends Adobe Reader v8 Opens link in a new browser window. or higher to view maps in pdf format.
The original Conservation Area derived its strength and character from the merits of the individual buildings within it, rather than as a coherent piece of urban design in its own right. Since then the area has been extended twice. In 1992 the boundary was extended southward to incorporate the historic commercial spine of Hill Street/John Mitchel Place; the original 12th century settlement and areas abutting the canal/river.
In 2001 the area was extended northwards to incorporate the historical significance of the Newry Canal to the town.

The Design Guide

The design guide generally provides information on the planning context, historical development, description or character appraisal of the area, the designation and guidelines for development proposals.

Download the documents

Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)