Supplementary Planning Guidance
Supplementary planning guidance supports, claries and/or illustrates by example planning policy statements and plans. This can take the form of design guides such as the ‘Creating Places’ guide for residential development or guides prepared for Conservation Areas. It also includes a set of Development Control Advice Notes that explain the criteria and technical standards to be considered when dealing with specific categories or particular aspects of development.
Where relevant to a particular development proposal supplementary guidance will be taken into account as a material consideration in making decisions.
Design Guides promote the importance of good quality design for specific areas or aspects of land-use planning. These include:
- Creating Places
- Building on Tradition - A Sustainable Design Guide for the Northern Ireland Countryside
- Living Places
Development Control Advice Notes
Development Control Advice Notes set out the criteria and technical standards to be considered when dealing with specific categories or particular aspects of development.
- DCAN 1: Amusement Centres
- DCAN 2: Multiple Occupancy
- DCAN 3: Bookmaking Offices
- DCAN 4: Restaurants, Cafes and Fast Food Outlets
- DCAN 5: Taxi Offices
- DCAN 7: Public Houses
- DCAN 8: Housing in Existing Urban Areas
- DCAN 9: Residential and Nursing Homes
- DCAN 10: Environmental Impact Assessment
- DCAN 11: Access for People with Disabilities
- DCAN 12: Planning Control for Hazardous Substances
- DCAN 13: Crèches, Day Nurseries and Pre-School Play Groups
- DCAN 14: Siting and Design of Radio Telecommunication Equipment
- DCAN 15: Vehicular Access Standards
Issued for Consultation