PPS 8: Open Space, Sport and Outdoor Recreation
In exercise of its responsibility for planning control in Northern Ireland, the Department assesses development proposals against all planning policies and other material considerations that are relevant to it.
The Planning policies of this statement must therefore be read together and in conjunction with the relevant contents of development plans and other planning policy publications, including the Regional Development Strategy. The Department will also have regard to the contents of published supplementary planning guidance documents.
The following policies set out the main planning considerations that the Department will take into account in assessing proposals for the use of land for sport and outdoor recreational activities, including the development of ancillary facilities, and for proposals affecting open space or sites allocated for such purposes. The policies also indicate the circumstances where the Department will require the provision of public open space as an integral part of residential development. The provisions of these policies will prevail unless there are other overriding policy or material considerations that outweigh them and justify a contrary decision.
The following policies are covered in this section
- OS 1 Protection of Open Space
- OS 2 Public Open Space in New Residential Development
- OS 3 Outdoor Recreation in the Countryside
- OS 4 Intensive Sports Facilities
- OS 5 Noise Generating Sports and Outdoor Recreational Activities
- OS 6 Development of Facilities ancillary to Water Sports
- OS 7 The Floodlighting of Sports and Outdoor Recreational Facilities