PPS 7: Quality Residential Environments
2.1The main objectives of this Statement are:
- To promote an integrated approach to achieving sustainable and quality residential environments.
- To promote quality residential development that:
- creates places for people which are attractive, locally distinctive and appropriate to their surroundings, safe, convenient, adaptable and easy to maintain;
- respects and enhances features of value and local character and promotes biodiversity; and
- reduces reliance on the private car, supports movement by pedestrians and cyclists, provides adequate and convenientaccess to public transport and connects well with the wider locality.
- To promote the comprehensive planning and development of residential areas and ensure that adequate information accompanies planning applications which will enable the delivery of an improved design quality.
- To ensure that adequate provision is made for infrastructure and appropriate local neighbourhood facilities as an integral part of residential development.