PPS 5: Retailing and Town Centres
Planning for Local Shopping: Local Shops
52. Local shops have an important role to play in supplying the needs of the local population. Proposals for small-scale retail development will normally be directed to existing centres, however favourable consideration may be given to proposals for new local shops in neighbourhoods currently deficient in shopping provision and in new housing developments where:
- there is a defined local need that cannot be met by existing shopping facilities in the area;
- there would be likely to be no significant adverse impact on the vitality and viability of existing centres;
- there are no existing vacant and suitable premises in the area; and
- the proposal is of appropriate scale and is acceptable in terms of design, impact on residential amenity, servicing and parking arrangements.