Magherafelt Area Plan 2015
Castledawson is located beside the main A6 Belfast to Londonderry Road, approximately 4km north-east of Magherafelt town. It is set in a landscape of low rolling hills and flat meadowlands, south of the Moyola River and the mature woodland and parkland of Moyola Park estate, which contribute much to the character and setting of the village.
‘Lewis’s Loughinsholin (1837)’ states that “Castledawson, or Dawson’s Bridge, appears to have assumed its present form and name in the year 1710. It consists of two principal and some smaller streets.” It further developed along Main Street, and then expanded to the south, away from the river and estate lands. Modern development has resulted in the village expanding further southwards, where it is now contained by the A6 road.
Castledawson is a service centre with a wide range of facilities including several places of worship, community halls, a variety of shops, garage and golf course. The village has a strong industrial base including a furniture factory, timber yard and engineering works.
|Designation CN 01 Settlement Development Limit|
|A settlement development limit is designated as identified on Map No. 8 - Castledawson.|
The settlement development limit is designated to take account of land with extant planning permission for housing. The settlement development limit also takes account of the role of the settlement whilst protecting its natural setting. The settlement development limit excludes the important landscapes to the west, north and east of the village, lands to the south-east, between the Bells Hill Road and the Moyola River, that are subject to flooding, lands to the west of Annaghmore Road that are visually prominent, Best and Most Versatile (BMV) agricultural land, and other lands which are not committed to development.