Magherafelt Area Plan 2015
Bellaghy is located on the A54 Portglenone to Magherafelt Road, 8 km north-east of Magherafelt town and 2½ km west of Lough Beg. It is set in a landscape of low rolling hills, and wooded parkland at nearby Ballyscullion House.
The village was founded in 1619 by the ‘Vintners Company’. The Company Bawn, now a Historic Monument in State Care, stands at the south-west entrance to the village at the head of Castle Street. It includes significant remains of the original complex and a later house with permanent Seamus Heaney exhibits.
The original village was laid out along Castle Street and Mullaghboy Road, and later Main Street and William Street were created. Modern development has resulted in expansion of the village to the north-west and north-east, mainly in the form of housing estates.
Bellaghy functions as a local service centre with a good range of facilities including several places of worship, shops, cafes, library, public houses, health centre, GAA Ground and two schools. The village has a small industrial base.
|Designation BY 01 Settlement Development Limit|
|A settlement development limit is designated as identified on Map No. 7 - Bellaghy.|
The settlement development limit is designated to take account of land with extant planning permission for housing. The settlement development limit also takes account of the role of the settlement whilst protecting its natural setting. The settlement development limit excludes the important landscapes to the north-east and south-west of the village, the Wolfe Tones Gaelic Athletic Club Ground on the Ballyscullion Road, other lands which are not committed to development and Best and Most Versatile (BMV) agricultural land, to prevent further ribbon development along the Oldtown Road. The settlement development limit also takes account of the setting of Bellaghy Bawn and the Church of Ireland Church and prevents ribbon development along the Old Town Road.