Craigavon Area Plan 2010
Settlement Proposals: Donaghcloney
Donaghcloney is a traditional mill settlement adjacent to the River Lagan, approximately 6.5km southeast of Lurgan, within the Green Belt (see Map No. 10). The village has a very attractive setting, particularly to the west, amidst mature landscaping and the highly scenic Hall Road and Banoge Bridge area. A strong traditional character remains with a number of dwellings still being small terraced houses of mill worker style, and a few unspoilt large dwellings on landscaped grounds. There is a wide range of good village facilities including a primary school, shops, churches and a surgery.
The capacity of Waringstown sewage treatment works, which serves Donaghcloney, is a major constraint to the future development of the village. Works to upgrade the Waringstown sewage treatment works are currently underway with an expected completion date of October 2004.
Single dwelling units of an appropriate design will normally be permitted on suitable sites within the settlement limit, provided the proposal does not prejudice the comprehensive development of adjacent land. Housing development will normally be permitted, provided the scale, layout and detailed design of the development are compatible with the scale and character of the settlement. However, housing development proposals may be subject to phasing in accordance with the implementation of the sewage treatment works upgrading timetable.
Development proposals for land within the settlement limit will be assessed in accordance with Plan Policy SETT 1 and other relevant policies contained within the Plan.
Development proposals for land zoned as Phase 2 development land will be assessed in accordance with Plan Policy SETT 2.
An area of open space is zoned to the north of Lisnasure Road
Two Local Landscape Policy Areas (LLPAs) are designated as follows:
LLPA 1: Strawhill, to the west of the village
Strawhill House, Coach Yard, Gate Lodge and Entrance Gate are all listed. The House dates to 1846. The LLPA encompasses the mature planting within the grounds of Strawhill, which sweeps down to the River Lagan.
LLPA 2: The Mill Complex, to the south of the village
This LLPA is designated to protect the locally important mill complex and its surroundings, and the listed buildings and their surroundings. In addition, the river banks and important tree groups are worthy of protection.
Both LLPAs are areas of significant landscape and visual amenity and are of important historic and landscape value to Donaghcloney and the wider area. Policy for the control of development in these LLPAs is set out in Plan Policy CON 2 and CON 3 in Part 2 of the Plan.
An Area of Townscape Character (ATC) is designated around the historic core of Donaghcloney. The design of development proposals within this ATC should be in keeping with the original characteristics of the area, in terms of scale, form, materials and points of detail. The characteristic built form displayed in the ATC can also help inform developers in preparing development proposals elsewhere in the village to reinforce local identity. Development proposals within the ATC will be assessed in accordance with Plan Policy CON 5 and the provisions of prevailing regional planning policy.
The ATC contains a number of detached dwellings set in mature landscaping, vernacular terraced cottages, alongside empathetic terraces of later date, and red brick terraces associated with the redundant mill, nestled around the red brick Church of Ireland. The external finishes and detailing, such as the application of iron railings, traditional sash windows and colour, have created a homogeneous whole, linking structures of varying ages and architectural styles.
Iveagh Cottage, built in the style of the Arts & Crafts Movement, is 1½ storeys in height and set in mature vegetation behind a mock stone wall. To the north is Ghost Lodge, a two storey, double fronted Victorian villa set in its own grounds, and surrounded, in the main, by a variety of fully matured specimen trees.
The two storey terraced cottages of Carson's Row, dated 1742, are linked into the development of the village's first working mill of the same year. Opposite, a terrace of rendered 11/2 storey cottages c.1830 with paired porches line a substantial portion of Main Street.
To the rear of Main Street lie four rows of 2 storey terraced housing. The properties have been sympathetically restored and are generally well maintained. The use of red brick gives these two streets a distinct urban feel.
Red Row consists of 2 storey red brick terraced housing set behind simple iron railings. Adjacent to these properties is Quality Row, again 2 storeys in height, but rendered and painted white. Opposite, Liddell Villas are a row of terraced houses with bay windows at ground floor level.
St Patrick's Church (with attached rectory), is built from red brick with sandstone dressings applied to the windows and doors in an early Tudor style. The tower surmounted by a weather vane, has a clock face to each side. The village war memorial is situated in front of the church.